Grace On Rainbow

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Simplify . . . A Month Long Endeavor

This year has been overwhelming to say the least. We have been busier than I have ever remembered before. There have been so many changes and decision we made and are making that sometimes I forget to just stop and listen for the voice of God.

This past Spring we were in the house hunting mood, more so than ever before. We search and looked and looked and searched (we have to be the oldest clients our poor Realtor has ever had). She is amazing and has worked with us faithfully for 5 years - yes I said 5 years. We went through a stage were we were ready to build our dream house - we looked at land, met with a builder, looked at blue prints, got estimates . . . and then decided that we really didn't want the stress of building with everything else going on in our lives . . . so we started looking again. . . and looking . . . and looking. We found a house, not exactly what we wanted, but for the most part it fit the bill (over 5000 square feet, a bonus room above the 3 car garage, a full finished basement, a formal dining room, large kitchen, deck, 3 acres) - we got our preapproval, checked taxes, called the Realtor to make an offer . . . and prayed. The Realtor called back to let us know that 3 other offers had been made on the house - so we had a decision to make (pray . . . pray . . . pray) and that is when God began to work in our hearts once again. Could we afford the house . . . sure we could make the monthly payments for the next 15 years - was the house what we wanted . . . we thought so, but there was still something there that was holding us back. We called the Realtor and let her know that we would not be making an offer - why? - because in our hearts we knew that God was telling us that this was not the plan He had for us. You see we have been working on being debt free - completely debt free - no mortgage. . . nothing. This house would not allow us to be debt free - we knew it and God knew it. So I prayed for contentment with the house that He had provided us with. I knew we needed to change some things to simplify and to reorganize - so that is what I began doing and a month later I am thankful for His wondrous grace and mercy.



If you know anything about both Bob and I - you know that clutter and disorganization does not lead to a "harmonious" life for either one of us. We just do not do well when things are all out-of-sorts.


Yet here we are enduring through the organizing, shuffling, and purging of stuff.


No area was safe - if it was flat it was piled high.




But I KNEW that the end result would be worth it . . . or that is what I was praying.


And three weeks later - with much tears and sweat things started to come together.


and I began remembering why I was doing this.



I truly thought that my poor husband was just about ready to disown me after this round of revamping, but like the wonderful husband he is - he was patient and encouaged me to stay on track and get one project done at a time (which seems like an impossibility for me) but it was more than just cleaning - it was more than just organizing - it was more than just purging - I yearned for a simpler life. We had lost our focus lately and I wanted to prove to myself and in truth to God that I was TRULY happy living in our HOME! . . . and guess what. . . I truly am.

Do I think that we will stay in this house forever - no I don't believe that, but I do know now that instead of looking for our "dream home" - I need to search for the home that God has called us to.

But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.
Philipians 4:10-14

0 comments: